Introduction and News
Croeso/Welcome to this membership renewal newsletter special, containing all the information required to renew membership of Clwb Hwylio Pwllheli Sailing Club for 2021
With the advent of a new year, let's hope we can focus positively and see 2021 enabling us all to have our new year resolutions come true! (OK well most of them!)
The hard work of event planning, infrastructure maintenance and facility management both on and off the water starts again, and the Flag Officers and management committee members continue to meet (mainly virtually) to work on the programme for 2021.
The Welsh Government hope to publish the pathway to lower alert levels later this month, which then enables us to plan our own pathway back to boating and club activities once again, and the re-opening of our facilities.
Let's hope this time next year, we will be recovering from a great night at the club, celebrating the new year with friends and fellow members, having shared tables, danced, laughed and linked arms for "Auld Langs Syne"
Wherever you are, we wish you all a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda - A Happy New Year, and we look forward to making sailing memories in 2021
Club President - Bob Lowe
Bob takes over the role of Club President from Stephen, for the next 2 years, and supports Gerallt as Commodore alongside the other Flag Officers. Many members know Bob who was Club Commodore during 2014-16
Bob has written a New Year message which can be read on the club website by clicking here
Welsh Government Restrictions (announced 18th December) and RYA Cymru Wales interpretation.
Alert Level 4 was applied at Midnight December 19th - Level 4 has no end date and will be reviewed every three weeks;
- Outdoor individual exercise and professional, elite and designated sports and training permitted- if you have access to water local to you.
- Essential travel into and within Tier 4 only- this has implications for clubs and centres.
- Organised outdoor activities not allowed; this has implications for Club and Centre activities.
- Organised indoor activities not allowed (limited to specific public and voluntary services)
- Organisations delivering either workplace learning or adult learning should continue with online learning. RYA Training Centre seeking guidance on running virtual learning should read relevant section Current guidance for RYA Training Centres in Wales
- Community facilities, sports courts, golf courses, enclosed pitches to be closed; this includes Clubs and RYA Training Centres.
Alert Level 4 restrictions apply from midnight on the 19 December. Level 4 has no end date and will be reviewed every three weeks. Therefore recreational boating activities will have to cease.
BREXIT - RYA Guidance
There will be a new relationship between the UK and the EU in 2021 with the changes in effect as of 2300 hours UTC on 31 December 2020 when the transition period ends.
What we know now
Brexit - what happens next? outlines what the end of the transition period means for recreational boating and what we currently understand the arrangements will be from 1 January 2021. This is of course a fluid situation, given that in mid December 2020 it was still undecided whether there or not there would be a future relationship deal. Further information on the RYA website here which will continue to be updated as arrangements are finalised
Border force (customs) requirements for recreational boats leaving UK waters (for example visiting Ireland) are listed here with links to the forms etc
2021 Membership renewal process
Last week a bespoke membership renewal email was sent out, which we hope simplifies the renewal process, with much of the user data populated when logging onto the members area. This process also includes an option to collect the new and fantastic club calendar, or for a small fee we can post it out to you. The calendars have arrived and the collection times for local members when a Flag Officer will be in attendance at Plas Heli are published below- We will be using the external door of the middle ground floor training room (to the right of the main entrance) - this will be signposted as the main doors and internal facilities will be closed. Please don't make a special journey, but we recognise many local members pass by as part of their exercise so an opportunity exists to collect the calendar.
2021 Membership Rates
Membership of CHPSC for 2021
The membership year is from 1st January to 31st December.
2021 Fee Structure
Primary Member - £65
Joint Membership - £115
Racing Skipper - £125
Joint Racing Skipper - £180
Associate Member - £75
Student Member - £30
Youth Member - £20
Small (Optimist/Topper) £55 (£48 early payment)
Medium (Laser) £65 £55 early payment)
Large (Merlin Rocket) £85 (£75 early payment)
Multi Hulls (Dart etc) £95 (£83 early payment)
Reasons to be a member in 2021
Pwllheli Sailing Club offers something for everyone, casual boaters, a base for cruising, racing and motor boating together with being a great venue for events, training and importantly a fantastic meeting place, with views, for friends.
In addition to all of the varied activities featured in this e-newsletter, membership of the club provides:
- Meeting place for likeminded people in a friendly environment
- Affiliated membership of the RYA who safeguard recreational boating in the UK
- Helps to support youth sailing (CHIPAC)
- Training and Development - RYA courses run by club members
- Dinghy and keelboat racing opportunities
- Cruises in company
- Great social events - club members have priority
- Discounted berthing at Plas Heli pontoons,
- Dinghy storage in the refurbished and secure compound
- Access to CHIPAC for members children to learn to sail with experienced instructors teaching in the medium of Welsh and English
- Members can gain RYA qualifications through volunteering experience at club events.
- Advertise your Holiday Accommodation to a target audience of visitors to the area during events (small fee applies)
- Receive regular e-newsletters with useful information
- 10% discount at the bar in Plas Heli
- Easy membership (application/renewal) process all on-line and starting from £65 for the year!
- Racing Skipper membership includes all racing entry fees, except the IRC Champs and the ISORA element of coastal races.
Flag Officers will be at Plas Heli on the following dates, for those local members who are able to collect (within the limitations of level 4 restrictions)
Saturday 2nd January 11-12:00
Sunday 3rd January 11-12:00
Saturday 9th January 11-12:00
Sunday 12th January 11-12:00
The centre is closed in line with Welsh Government Alert Level 4 restrictions. New opening hours will be posted as soon as restriction are eased, and our bar and catering partner's have assessed what they can offer.
Plas Heli, the Welsh National Sailing Academy and Event Centre, has been awarded the venue rights for the 'IRC Welsh National Championships' for 2021 and 2022. The Championship is hosted by Plas Heli, and organised/managed by CHPSC and the RDYC.
We now are recruiting volunteers for event planning purposes and if you would like to contribute, or have any suggestions to enhance the event, please reply to this newsletter. Its intended to have the first planning meeting in January to agree the Notice of Race and proposed format of racing. This meeting will be open to all potential entrants and volunteers, and will be held using Zoom. Further details next month.
Thought for the Day:
"with the new day, comes new strength and new thoughts"
For more information, membership links and the latest weather and webcam
Plas Heli Quayside Parking
The parking area on the Plas Heli Quayside is available for paid up CHPSC members and to authorised pontoon users.
The parking area is accessed through the gate adjacent to the old club building
The code to the gate is changed regularly and can be obtained through the plasheli.org website > Facilities> Parking. For convenience follow this shortcut link here
Fill in the details – put a tick in the box to confirm that you are a CHPSC member (have your 2021 membership number ready)
Then in the payment bit – use ‘I am a paid up CHPSC member and request permit for parking’ - Then Submit
You will then get a return e-mail with instructions
Please make sure the gate is closed and locked at all times and that the padlock is never left open or with the code left on the dial